Day & Evening

(508) 393-0389


If a child is born out of wedlock and the parties are living together and the child’s father is properly identified on the child’s birth certificate, then a Complaint to Establish Paternity is probably not necessary. Otherwise, either parent may initiate a court proceeding by way of a Complaint to Establish Paternity for the purpose of having an acknowledgement or adjudication of paternity made by the Court. Children born to parents who are not married to each other are entitled to the same rights and protections of the law as all other children. Accordingly, a Complaint to Establish Paternity in addition to determining who the father of the child is, can also establish orders for child support, custody, visitation, health insurance, uninsured medical expenses.

In a Paternity proceeding, the Court may also award past or retroactive support from the time of birth until the Temporary or Permanent Order goes into effect.

Related Articles

Contact family law attorney in Jaffarian Law Firm for more information!


Fill out the quick contact form below now